Environmental Service Systems
- Soil Science
- Environmental Science
- Wind Energy Technology
- Aquatic Biology
- Environmental / Field Technician:
$33,300 - $54,500
- Environmental Engineer:
$73,650 - $148,350
- Environmental Compliance Inspector:
$72,700 - $107,650
- Water Treatment Specialist:
$42,000 - $54,600
- Ag Facilities Construction Manager:
$81,700 - $100,800
The median advertised salary in Minnesota for environmental system occupations is about $84,050.
Pathway focused on preventing the harmful effects of human activities; knowledge of science and engineering.
- Life Science / Evolutionary Biology
- Biology and Biotechnology
- Dairy Commodity Grader:
$28,000 - $50,750
- Fatty Acids Materials Scientist:
$53,650 - $118,150
- Fermentation Microbiologist:
$51,450 - $82,150
- Biological Lab Technician:
$32,050 - $53,800
- Chemistry Lab Technician:
$34,950 - $45,050
The median advertised salary in Minnesota for biofuel system occupations is about $59,200.
Pathway enhances plants, animals and microorganisms; have a strong interest and background in how science can modify an organism’s genetic composition.
Power, Structural and Technical Systems
- UAS / UAV
- Welding and Fabrication
- Applied Engineering / Drafting
- Precision Agriculture / GIS / GPS
- Diesel / Heavy Equipment Mechanics
- Industrial / Manufacturing Engineer:
$79,350 - $125,950
- TIG Welder:
$38,650 - $43,450
- Wind Turbine Technician:
$43,700 - $63,150
- GIS Technician:
$41,900 - $48,100
The median advertised salary in Minnesota for power, structural, and technical system occupations is about $67,350.
Apply knowledge of engineering, hydraulics, pneumatics, electronics, power, structures and controls to agriculture. Innovate, design and build solutions.
Natural Resources Systems
- Wildlife Ecology
- Urban Forestry
- Land Surveying / Geospatial Analysis
- Forestry / Natural Resources
- Natural Resources Law Enforcement
- Parks Workers:
$25,450 - $43,450
- Park Naturalist / Conservation Scientist:
$27,900 - $56,550
- Environmental Scientist:
$63,400 - $109,750
$71,650 - $84,750
- Land Surveyors:
$43,200 - $84,650
The median advertised salary in Minnesota for natural resource system occupations is about $47,500.
Maintain and manage natural environment; work in urban and rural settings, in the field and in the lab. Protecting wildlife, maintaining parks.
- Agricultural Science
- Law / Regulation
- Agribusiness Management
- Agricultural Education
- Sales / Marketing
- Accounting / Finance / Insurance
- Product Demonstrator:
$24,650 - $52,550
- Marketing Manager:
$89,000 - $154,590
- Plant Accountant:
$49,250 - $105,200
- Agriculture Loan Officer:
$63,550 - $130,050
- Supply Chain Analysts:
$60,250 - $107,900
The median advertised salary in Minnesota for agribusiness occupations is about $57,800.
Careers in this pathway determine effective use of resources for profit, work in teams and using high-tech tools to increase efficiency
- Equine Science
- Animal Science
- Veterinary Technician
- Dairy, Lamb, Wool, Swine Management
$82,650 - $104,450
- Animal Scientist:
$71,950 - $144,900
- Animal Caretaker:
$23,900 - $36,650
$38,100 - $94,000
- Veterinary Technician:
$30,000 - $55,300
The median advertised salary in Minnesota for animal system occupations is about $42,150.
Working with and caring for animals of all sizes; opportunities to work directly with animals or to work with products from animals.
- Plant Science
- Commodity Marketing
- Grounds Management
- Horticulture / Green House Management
- Landscape Design / Construction / Technology
- Agronomist / Soil & Plant Scientist:
$73,200 - $94,400
- Arborist / Tree Worker:
$41,300 - $72,800
- Operations Supervisor:
$41,350 - $73,000
$27,000 - $45,350
- Landscape Designer:
$63,250 - $72,100
The median advertised salary in Minnesota for plant system occupations is about $44,850.
Study plants and how they impact our world. Feed our growing population; monitor food quality and safety; develop insect resistant crops; grow more food with less space; conserve natural resources.
Food Products and Processing Systems
- Culinary Arts
- Food Science
- Accounting / Finance
- Food Processing Safety
- Food Service Management
- Communications and Marketing
- Chef / Manager:
$24,350 - $51,700
- Food Scientist / Technologist:
$77,800 - $123,150
- Food / Consumer Safety Inspector:
$49,350 - $69,450
- Food Product Machine Operator:
$23,150 - $28,000
- Food Lab Technician:
$31,800 - $43,450
The median advertised salary in Minnesota for food system occupations is about $49,300.
Study the physical, biological and chemical makeup of foods to improve food safety, create better processes, and enhance nutritional value and shelf-life: develop new flavors.
Agriculture, Food & Natural Resources Career Cluster - May 2020
Are you going in the right direction?
Explore a future career in Agriculture!
- According to USDA/Purdue University Study Agricultural students make up about 1% of the total number of students enrolled in postsecondary education.
- But there are 2x as many diverse job opportunities as there are qualified graduates to fill them!
- According to AgCareers.com 59% of agricultural companies expect their workforce to increase in size in the next 2 years.
Top 3 Majors for two year programs
- Ag Business
- Ag Production/Operations
Top 3 Majors for four year programs
- Animal Science
- Ag Business
- Food Science
Agriculture Is The Nation’s Largest Employer
with more than 23 Million Jobs [that’s 17% of the civilian workforce] involved in some facet of American agriculture.
(Data by National FFA Organization)
Agricultural Career Pathways
Critical Foundation Knowledge and Skills Identified by Employers:
Problem Solving - Ethics - Critical Thinking - Integrity - Teamwork - Technology Application - Safety, Health, & Environment - Organizational & Global Systems - Leadership - Cultural Competence - Lifelong Learning - Creativity - Communications - Innovation
Download Brochure (6.7 MB)
Thanks to our partner, AgCentric, here is a listing of Minnesota State College Post Secondary Ag, Food and Natural Resources instructors along with their contact information.